Mission & Philosophy
2nd Nature Academy Mission Statement
2nd Nature Academy is a student-centered educational community that fosters inquiry, exploration, experience, and achievement. We develop well-rounded and independent critical thinkers who are able to create, communicate, collaborate, and conquer challenges, in order to contribute fully to society.
2nd Nature Academy Student-Centered Philosophy
At 2nd Nature Academy, we strive to provide a learning environment that enables students to experience success in all curriculum areas through the use of an integrated, multi-sensory curriculum. Our goal is to provide an alternative educational environment that focuses on Dr. Howard Gardner’s Multiple Intelligence Theory. This pedagogy encompasses eight intelligence areas: verbal/linguistic, logical/mathematical, bodily/kinesthetic, musical, visual/spatial, interpersonal/companion, intrapersonal/self, and naturalist. It is our belief that all children do not acquire knowledge in the same way. Therefore, we provide many varied instructional methods in order to create a more diverse learning climate. Teachers embrace all eight intelligence strengths while planning lessons, and students are encouraged to approach learning through investigating, questioning, reasoning, and predicting.
- To provide a student-centered learning environment that focuses on the whole child
- To embrace eight intelligence strengths as indicated by Dr. Howard Gardner of Harvard University
- To provide the fundamentals of education using inquiry based learning and multi-sensory instruction
- To foster an attitude of cultural appreciation
- To support physical, social, emotional and cognitive well-being
- To promote values and life skills such as responsibility, punctuality, consideration, understanding, altruism, and compassion
- To encourage an appreciation of our natural environment
- To develop an enthusiasm for learning and acquiring new skills